View Single Post
Old 28-04-2024, 09:23 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
That's an amazing image!
I've been looking through the cloud when it clears a little, not managed to find anything other than more cloud.

You mention using the Vixen star tracker for the exposures, do comets follow any form of standard astronomical metrics?
I don't have a portable star tracker and was contemplating using my EQ5 PRO but figured if I didn't know rotational speed I may as well stick with a 200mm lens on a standard camera tripod.
They obviously WON'T be 15 second exposures if the sky ever clears up and I get to taking images.

Though I could build a rough star tracker and probably have everything here to do it but it would be quick and rough, slightly better than zero tracking.

I have 3 working principles:

1: Good and cheap, it won't be fast
2: Cheap and fast, it won't be good
3: Good and fast, it won't be cheap.
Hi leo,
I have built a star tracker maybe a year ago now. Pretty basic with 3to1 motor with some plastic gears and buck converter from aliexpress. Works quiet well. 2 min with 50mm lens and 15 sec tested with 200mm lens.
Without tracking you will be stuck at 1-2 seconds before the trailing is visible.
The comet seems slow moving from our prospective so you can go 2 min plus no problem without much movement. Worth setting up your eq5!