Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2024, 07:48 PM
v8torrie

Dew heater

Hi all. I'm somewhat a newb at this hobby. Working on removing as many things as possible that get in the way of a good data collection.

So now I am at a point where I need better dew control. I have a william optics 61mm scope and think it's time for a dew blanket.

What's some solutions that people have used on a similar scope without needing house mains to run the rig.
Old 23-05-2024, 09:50 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

I have an 'SVBony' brand dew-heater from eBay that's USB powered. It plugs into the powered USB hub (2.4A) and keeps my scope dew-free. If I'm using the DSLR, then I have a large capacity battery pack that will power it all night long.

There are many options available and seem to be split between 12v and 5v (USB-powered), along with a multitude of controllers to drive them - some smart with auto-temperature/humidity sensors and some merely a potentiometer to control the voltage reaching the heater.

Cheers,
V.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
cafuego (Peter)
Take me to your ******

I got an MSM brand dew strip off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Dew-Heater-fo...ef_=ast_sto_dp) that keeps my 72mm diagonal zoom lens nice and toasty. It runs off USB and has three power settings.

With the lens hood on the zoom lens I seem to only ever need to run it at the lowest power (in western Victoria, which is not necessarily known for being particularly humid ;-)

I can power it with a phone charging brick for a few hours if I use it with the DSLR or I can plug it into my asiair mini and run it off the battery pack that way.