Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-04-2024, 09:44 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Ic2944 sho/rgb

Our good friend the Running Chicken Nebula or, in this case, the body of the "Chook" as the field is a little to close in see the extremities of our avian friend.

This is a actually a transitional project in that I had started the data acquisition with my QSI683 CCD camera and then my new ZWO ASI2600 camera turned up so once that was installed and commissioned I completed the data acquisition. This being the case, the RGB_Ha data are from the QSI683 and the OIII and SII data are from the ASI2600. The image has been processed as SHO narrowband with RGB stars.

I have presented both the star 'full' image as the 'primary' image and the included the starless version for comparison.

Link to Astrobin image here.
Click on the "Technical Card" icon for full details.
On the Technical Card page you can do a mouse over to see the starless version.

Clear skies,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC2944_Vb_sig_1000px.jpg)
118.6 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (IC2944_Vb_starless_sig_1000px.jpg)
44.1 KB22 views
Old 30-04-2024, 10:11 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Nicely captured, great detail and loving the colour. All of that exposure time really helps with the natural smoothness. How was it combining the two data sets together? They're two very different sensors.
Old 30-04-2024, 10:17 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Thanks Colin, the main difference between the sensors is the pixel size so the QSI camera delivers an image scale of 1.68" / px and the ASI2600 and image scale of 1.15" / px. Blinking the data sets definitely shows the increased resolution that is available with the ASI2600. It was relatively straight forward for this project as I didn't try to mix data for the same filter from the different cameras. I simply used the QSI for all of the RGB_Ha and the ASI2600 for all of the OIII and SII. It was then a simple matter of registering the OIII and SII masters against the QSI masters and all was good.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:18 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Nice work Rodney
I like the rich palette which doesn’t hinder some excellent detail around this gem of a nebula
Data sets from 2 different cameras has really worked well.
Well done !!
I don’t bother with RGB stars when shooting Narrowband SHO etc… as my software Startools can do some Star colour corrections on the fly which, whilst not perfect, is good enough for me.
Clear sky time is really limited here on the east coastal strip , both Sydney and South Coast imaging sites.

Martin
Old 01-05-2024, 07:36 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Nice work Rodney
I like the rich palette which doesn’t hinder some excellent detail around this gem of a nebula
Data sets from 2 different cameras has really worked well.
Well done !!
I don’t bother with RGB stars when shooting Narrowband SHO etc… as my software Startools can do some Star colour corrections on the fly which, whilst not perfect, is good enough for me.
Clear sky time is really limited here on the east coastal strip , both Sydney and South Coast imaging sites.

Martin
Thanks Martin, yes unfortunately we are heading into a few days of cloudy and rainy weather as we head into this new moon period. Keeping our fingers crossed that it clears up in time to catch some data.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:08 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

A really nice, nuanced rendition of this object Rodney. I love the colours and the subtle details.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:09 PM
Dave882 (David)

Very nice! I actually like that fov- kind of like looking at a portal into the great beyond…
Old 01-05-2024, 04:19 PM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

That's a fantastic Chicken. Smooth colors with excellent stars. Framing perfect.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:07 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

The colour mix is a little different ...but, ti's otherwise that typical high quality image, we all expect from Glanmire Observatory

Mike
Old 06-05-2024, 01:45 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Beautiful image Rodney
Old 06-05-2024, 06:06 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Thanks for all of your comments everyone. IC2944, the "Running Chicken Nebula" is an interesting object to process particularly if one is looking for some point of difference given the proliferation of published images of this area. Partly for these reasons I've decided to stick with a slightly warmer palette and kept the (de-emphasised) stars whilst including the starless as the 'background' image. Apart from all this I just like it of course

CS,
Rodney