Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-06-2024, 05:30 PM
joshman (Josh)

R Coronae Australis in HaLRGB

In an effort to further practice some LRGB processing, and to fill in a few gaps in imaging time while waiting for various targets to rise, I started imaging this beautiful region of space. After having some early success with what I was seeing come through, I made a plan to go for 16 hours of LRGB (4hrs/filter) and my usual set for RGB stars, just to be safe.

Part way through this, and very much on a whim, I decided to see what kind of Ha response was in this region. To my surprise even single 120s frames had a reasonable Ha signal right in the very bright area, so i decided to throw in 4 hours of Ha while i was at it. Interestingly enough, there is a very small amount of Ha signal present in the dust clouds, and the pressure wave from that big bright star on the mid-right of frame is pretty clearly defined in the Ha. Given the shape, and the amount of blue response around that star, I may look at seeing what kind of OIII signal is there as well.

As with all my images of late, They're being processed on the Gaming laptop, which has a pretty poorly calibrated screen, so while the colours look pretty good to me, I'm very much open to critique.

Click here to see it on Astrobin, including the Equipment and full acquisition details.

Clear Skies, and thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lgx0r106TH_L_620x0_4nd3mLr4.jpg)
43.1 KB53 views
Old 30-06-2024, 10:26 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Wow, a fabulous result Josh This object gets imaged A LOT and nearly always looks pretty good, just due to it being a bluudy purler of an object but you've done it extra good justice. I love the galaxy and sprite like bit of blue neb, right at the top and in the middle of the image and that arc of bright nebulosity and blue patches around the star, midway along the Anteater's snout, looks great too

Mike
Old 01-07-2024, 12:16 PM
gregbradley

That's an excellent 6729

That turned out really well.

Greg.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:36 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

That is looking fabulous, well done.
I always have trouble processing RGB, envi you.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:35 PM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Wow, a fabulous result Josh This object gets imaged A LOT and nearly always looks pretty good, just due to it being a bluudy purler of an object but you've done it extra good justice. I love the galaxy and sprite like bit of blue neb, right at the top and in the middle of the image and that arc of bright nebulosity and blue patches around the star, midway along the Anteater's snout, looks great too
Mike
Thanks Mike! I think this definitely need a wider treatment, there's a lot of little bits and pieces of random nebula all over the place that have piqued my interest - like you point out the little sprite at the top and the pressure wave along the snout. Might be a good job for a long focal length on that new mount one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That's an excellent 6729.
That turned out really well.
Greg.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
That is looking fabulous, well done.
I always have trouble processing RGB, envi you.
I've always avoided primarily RGB image processing because it required a hefty amount of "remaining true to life" where as SHO processing is almost inherently an artistic pursuit. My Point being, keep going, and keep practising, if i can do it, anyone can.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:17 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Amazing work Josh - thought you must have done a mosaic at first glance, but see you've picked a really nice orientation and FOV for your rig. Top notch and beautifully natural processing (contrast, colours, etc). You'd have to be happy with that
Old 01-07-2024, 09:52 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Josh,
Amazing image and beautifully processed
Colour looks fine to me ( I use a gaming laptop as well to process my images, an Omen 17” laptop , and yes colour calibration is slightly different to a standard laptop but your image looks excellent)
Cheers
Martin
Old 01-07-2024, 10:09 PM
keller60 (Bill)

I prefer to sit in the background on this group but occasionally images pop up that deserve encouragement.

Addition of Ha to this region's data was very clever!

Gives an interesting take on often imaged object. Had no idea there
was Ha in there. Cool.

Nice work

Bill
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Nice work Josh.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

What I said on Astrobin applies here mate cracking image
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

That is awesome Josh!

Love the extra patches of blue nebulosity that don't usually appear outside of the central section and the extra patches of Ha.
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Paul Haese

Nice image scale in this image. It's often described as the object with everything. It has all sorts of cool things to look at, from galaxies to Herbig-Haro objects to reflection nebula. Great dust collection.