Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-05-2024, 11:15 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Handy multi-function mounting plate

Having invested in a bunch of some shorter fl lenses for wide-angle imaging, I was looking for a simple means of individually piggyback mounting them on my 10" GSO Newt, which is permanently on a CEM60 in the obs. The Newt has a Losmandy-style plate top and bottom, so I looked for a dovetail clamp that would accommodate the different lens mounting plates styles, including ADM/Losmandy, the newer (red) Askar mount and Vixen styles.

I came across the following dovetail clamp on AliExpress for AUD52 plus postage and GST, for a landed cost here of AUD84, which I thought was quite reasonable. It arrived today, took 10 days from (I presume) China. It's extremely well built, solid red anodized aluminium with real brass clamps and hefty thumb screws, and yes, I tested that all the various mounting plates are accommodated and clamp firmly. It's 150x90x30mm LWH and weighs about 500g.

I will screw it directly to the top Newt Losmandy plate holes. I'll try and take some more pics after attaching it, but here's the item pic.

It can be found on Aliexpress, Amazon, and Ebay, but Aliexpress at $52 plus postage was far lower cost. Recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dovetail Slot_1.jpg)
42.8 KB43 views

Last edited by mldee; 31-05-2024 at 11:41 AM.