Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 06:33 PM
keeef65 (Keith)

New Camera test. Carina Nebula.

The Carina Nebula (NGC 3372) or at least a small part of it. This shows the bright star Eta Carinea at the centre and to the right of that is the keyhole nebula.
This started off as a test of a new camera and it turned out really well, I think.

Only a 30min exposure (30x60secs) without any guiding.
Skywatcher 127/1500 MAK
Touptek ATR2600 Camera (IMX571 sensor)
HEQ5 Mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (carina-final2.jpg)
191.5 KB68 views
Old 03-06-2024, 09:53 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

So are you happy with this..or do you want a frank and fearless appraisal ?
Old 03-06-2024, 02:53 PM
keeef65 (Keith)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
So are you happy with this..or do you want a frank and fearless appraisal ?
Go for it, I'm happy with this as first try with a new camera but theres always room to improve.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:52 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeef65 View Post
Go for it, I'm happy with this as first try with a new camera but theres always room to improve.
Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, while the camera looks to be doing OK
I'd have serious doubts about the optics.

Soft stellar profiles, halos around brighter stars and edge coma is not painting an excellent example of this very well known object.

I'd be pondering whether the focus was a smidge off, or if not, was the seeing poor on the night?

Failing which, could it be spherical aberration causing the halos? (star testing the optics is quite easy..worth a Google if you are unfamiliar with how to do this)

Not guiding likely added to the broad stellar footprints

That said, Eta is an excellent standard candle to test new gear. Hope you can get it all looking tight with some tinkering.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 03-06-2024 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2024, 08:48 PM
keeef65 (Keith)

Hi Peter,

I actually thought you were going to be harder than what you were.
Thank you for the feedback and the confirmation of what I kind of already knew.

The seeing was terrible but it was the only semi clear night on the horizon and i was inching to try the new camera.
Focusing was by hand with a Bahtinov mask and it was cold . I'm looking at the ZWO or QHY focuser.
The OTA is pretty ordinary too, Looking at getting a f4 or f5 Newtonian with a wider field.
Guiding? an OAG is preference.

The problem I have is what to upgrade first.

I do have a background in photography but astro is pretty new to me.
After starting out with a non-cooled camera I quicky found that the first thing that needed upgrading was the camera and seeing the difference it made (even with poor seeing) has got me excited and confirmed I'll be sticking at this.

Again, thank you for the feedback and no need to ask my permission to give it either.!
Old 03-06-2024, 09:39 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeef65 View Post
Hi Peter,

I actually thought you were going to be harder than what you were.
Thank you for the feedback and the confirmation of what I kind of already knew.

The seeing was terrible but it was the only semi clear night on the horizon and i was inching to try the new camera.
Focusing was by hand with a Bahtinov mask and it was cold . I'm looking at the ZWO or QHY focuser.
The OTA is pretty ordinary too, Looking at getting a f4 or f5 Newtonian with a wider field.
Guiding? an OAG is preference.

The problem I have is what to upgrade first.

I do have a background in photography but astro is pretty new to me.
After starting out with a non-cooled camera I quicky found that the first thing that needed upgrading was the camera and seeing the difference it made (even with poor seeing) has got me excited and confirmed I'll be sticking at this.

Again, thank you for the feedback and no need to ask my permission to give it either.!
Not sure what terrible critique you were expecting.....that said, my better half tells me I'm mellowing in my old age

While upgrading your kit is a great idea, it can be a slippery slope. It's very easy to drop five figures on a tidy system that still has its problems.

But the frequent reality is: quality gear lasts. Also when compared to , say, the latest Canon RF series glass...it's not too expensive mix and match an affordable astro system that can produce excellent results in the right hands.

As a general recommendation I'd say cameras come and go (I started with a 35mm Pentax and hypered a Tech Pan film...arcane museum pieces now) Sublime optics however...are a bit like Sydney real estate...the cost keeps going North.

Stick with it

Last edited by Peter Ward; 03-06-2024 at 09:53 PM.