Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2024, 02:47 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

MaxDome Kit - where to buy spare groved track?

Hi Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me determine where I could buy 1 or 2 pieces of the groved track that comes with a Maxdome rotation kit?

Are their any suppliers in Australia?

I had to repair a piece of track the other day - the motor housing somehow jammed on the rotation alignment magnet - when it passed the motor housing it must of been too close and sheared off the tips of two of the tracks.

Luckily it was right next to the join and I had spare track so I simply cut a piece to overlap the join then carefully aligned and mated it back to the tracked - and it works perfectly.

However tonight I noticed another point in the dome rotation where it halts and shudders loudly and on close inspection I can see another steel tip seems to have had its tip sheared off.

So I can cut another piece if remaining spare track I have done to say a 4cm long piece and drill and mount it to the damaged track too.

But the ideal solution would be to just buy 1-2 whole new sections of black steel saw-tooth track for a 2.1 metre dome and replace the damaged track with new sections.

Hence my question - anyone know how to order a space bit of track. I have sent a message to Diffraction Limited in Canada.

Does anyone here know if there is any local supplier or importer I could order these from - or does anyone have a spare length of track they are willig to sell?

Many thanks,

Matthew
Old 20-06-2024, 12:12 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Diffraction staff's response:

we don't make the mechanical parts. That was done by Sirius Domes.
Other folks -any suggestions would be welcome!

Will see if anyone from Sirius Dome (who quit trading 3-4 years ago but then were planning to re-open) is contactable or can help.

Anyone know if they are still around or how to contact them - or who made their track rails?

Thanks, Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dome.jpg)
81.5 KB13 views

Last edited by g__day; 20-06-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 20-06-2024, 12:49 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Would it be feasible to have a shop rebuild the metal with some welding and then grind to re-establish the profile. Doesn't look like a lot of work and might be a lot lower cost than new track.