Old 18-08-2024, 12:33 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Ha Sun 17 aug

Not much more to say other than the link is HERE

Hope you enjoy some Sun
Old 18-08-2024, 12:54 PM
leon

Another beautiful image Peter you have been very busy of late, well done indeed.

Leon
Old 18-08-2024, 12:57 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Wow!
Old 18-08-2024, 04:57 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Wow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Another beautiful image Peter you have been very busy of late, well done indeed.

Leon
Ta gents. This one was a little different on the acquisition side, as I double
stacked the blocking filters as well as the etalons. I think it gives a little more
contrast....probably 0.45 Angstom overall...but does drop the image brightness significantly.

Hence the jury is out as to whether it's a positive move.
Old 19-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I've purchased various filters over the years but never felt comfortable observing the sun and have never done it. I have taken a few decent shots sans magnification through various welding helmets. Don't ask why I'd trust a welding helmet more than a solar filter, probably something to do with my eyes being extremely close to the output UV from welding and still barely working.
Your shot is absolutely stunning, the detail is amazing to my eye and while I claim to be far from any sort of solar expert (or having any experience) I do know what I think looks amazing.
Old 19-08-2024, 08:08 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I've purchased various filters over the years but never felt comfortable observing the sun and have never done it. I have taken a few decent shots sans magnification through various welding helmets. Don't ask why I'd trust a welding helmet more than a solar filter, probably something to do with my eyes being extremely close to the output UV from welding and still barely working.
Your shot is absolutely stunning, the detail is amazing to my eye and while I claim to be far from any sort of solar expert (or having any experience) I do know what I think looks amazing.
A good solar filter is absolutely safe, so I wouldn't stress over that. The price tag however can sting. Think same as a modest telescope up to a modest motorcar.

But H-alpha solar imaging is so dynamic. Things can change in minutes rather than decades.

As for my images....my better half is my best judge. She can be very blunt, but e.g. "that picture is boring...just like all the rest" to "I like that one because it's different/pretty colours/etc. " but she has no concept of the technical aspects, yet an incredibly strong aesthetic sense.

...and BTW...now you have the secret to winning a Malin/Greenwich award

Getting back to solar H-alpha.

To quote Nike "Just do it!".

Last edited by Peter Ward; 19-08-2024 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarification