Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2024, 08:25 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Aurora at 34 south. NOW 20:30 12 Sept!

Aurora going off now. Visible to naked eye intermittently near Young. Variable intensity to naked eye ranging from bright pink to colourless glow to not visible.

Should be visible all across southern NSW

Joe
Old 12-09-2024, 11:14 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hope you have enjoyed the sight, only just saw this post Joe. Look forward to seeing some images , if you took any. After 2 weeks of mostly clear skies today we had a southerly change with accompanying cloud and intermittent rain showers here on the coast.
Old 13-09-2024, 08:42 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hope you have enjoyed the sight, only just saw this post Joe. Look forward to seeing some images , if you took any. After 2 weeks of mostly clear skies today we had a southerly change with accompanying cloud and intermittent rain showers here on the coast.
Thanks Jeff,

Pity you didn't see it. IIS doesn't support push notifications so you have to look here. Nothing more I could do.

There were two events, one in progress from the end of astronomical twilight until about 9pm. It was visible to the naked eye with pink and red emission in blankets and pillars for about 20 mins from 19:50-20:10 EST.

A second weaker event started after 10pm and continued until midnight. I received a message from a friend who told me his granddaughter had a prediction for a third event at 4am, however I couldn't corroborate this. I dozed off in the lounge chair. When I woke up, the analogue wall clock was reading 2:20am. In my waking haze, I misread this as 4:10am. I went outside, the camera was still capturing but showing no activity. It had become cloudy so I went to bed. When I got into bed, I realised it was only 2:30am but I'd had enough for the night and went to sleep. I'm currently shifting my body clock to early to bed very early rise in readiness for comet Tsuchinshan's pre-dawn show over the next few weeks.

I captured 550 photos I need to to process. I'll post some in the Nightscape Photo Forum sometime today and render a T-L video later.

Here's one photo attached:
Camera:- Pentax K1 8s ISO 3200
Lens:- Pentax HD 28-105 ED DC WR 28mm @ f3.5
DATE-TIME:- 2024-09-12-19:59:35 UT

Cheers

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20240912-1000UT.jpg)
191.7 KB30 views

Last edited by OzEclipse; 13-09-2024 at 08:50 AM. Reason: adding a photo
Old 13-09-2024, 08:52 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

It seems there was an uptick in activity before dawn, have just reviewed the forecasts on - https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/a...inute-forecast . Wasn't paying enough attention last night, not expecting activity to be as strong as it seems it was, when I checked, it was up to G3 and the Bz at -15.
May get lucky as another 2 CMEs' are expected over the weekend, the brightening moon wont be doing observing any favours though. Plenty of images on Spaceweather .com from the northern hemisphere.

Last edited by Saturnine; 13-09-2024 at 01:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 13-09-2024, 09:26 AM
Dave882 (David)

Thanks Joe and that’s ann amazing pic. I did hear about it online and saw the IIS message but looking outside with full cloud and light rain decided not to do the trek out. Now I’m kinda regretting that…
Old 13-09-2024, 01:19 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Nice image posted, can't wait to see more of them. Am hoping that the arrival of 2 more CMEs' will spark more strong activity, I'm ready just in case.