Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-09-2024, 11:45 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

New phones cameras blew me away

So I recently upgraded my Samsung S9 edge ot a Samsung S24 Ultra. I was impressed by the improvement in photography in general - until I decided to snap the 2/3rds full Moon on it last night - then I was blown away!

It auto focused, stabilised at very high magnification and set the contrast perfectly - something I have never see a phone do perform - all in less than a second.

The Moon went from an over-exposed bouncying white spotlight to this shot in well under a second!

I read it also has A.I. to post capture remove or add subjects in the shot from a frame.

My goodness the capbility of phone cameras has advanced in the past 7 years!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon_S24Ultra.jpg)
25.2 KB108 views
Old 15-09-2024, 12:36 PM
ronson

The level of AI ‘help’ is so deep nowadays, that it begs the question which part is real and which not in these types of photos.

Samsung has tried to explain it: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...EZeH3pRry_8c62

Someone on Reddit went even further: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...fake_and_here/
Old 15-09-2024, 12:49 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

An excellent result.

This is one of the reasons the CWAS Malin Awards now has a smart phone category.

While there were not many entrants this year, the quality of
the submissions was at times remarkable.
Old 15-09-2024, 07:27 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I've seen images where the moon has been replaced by what Samsung (or the internet) thought the results should be.
I've tried explaining to my younger sister if she goes into full manual mode she can change aperture, ISO and exposure time along with focus but she still sends me white blobs. Though my sister is more at home with a family selfie of her cuddling a relative I have no contact with than any real idea with photography. I have an old stuffed Samsung S8 I bought cheap with an already cracked screen (saved me having to do it, Haha and it was better than my iPhone 4 a friend gave me because I really don't have the money for phones) and my phone images are clear for the capacity of the camera in the phone. I think my sister has the 21 or S23 plus.
Old 16-09-2024, 09:35 AM
TrevorW

s24 over $1000 for a phone honestly some people have more money than sense and like being ripped off
Old 16-09-2024, 02:34 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
s24 over $1000 for a phone honestly some people have more money than sense and like being ripped off
Hi Trevor,

Nowadays, you could spend around half that on a used Google Pixel 6 Pro, a 2022 flagship phone. It has a excellent camera / cameras with importantly: a large sensor and fast-ish lens. The 7 pro and possibly 8 pro are not much better photographically, although they do have updated processors.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 16-09-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 16-09-2024, 02:47 PM
TrevorW

Hi Ja

I spent $200 on a Realme6 and it does everything I need, honestly these days how people are obsessed with their phones saddens me