Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2024, 09:43 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Long run of clear nights in Sydney

Since mid to late August and current new moon period has been the longest run of clear nights in Sydney for years ( possibly 4 years ) and it’s still going. Conditions have varied throughout each night from lousy to pretty stable but I’m not complaining.
I’m sure imaging folk on the East Coast NSW have plenty of data to process. I’m currently imaging the Helix under my light infested skies and hope to gather around 20 to 25 hours on it , my record for gathering data on one object since I started the hobby in 2017. Under my skies the Helix is a waist of time outside new moon even with using 3nm filters , the Oiii just become a load of noise.
Anyway I hope folk have had some good imaging time or observing time during this rare run of clear nights.

Cheers
Martin
Old 02-09-2024, 10:52 AM
Dave882 (David)

Hi Martin glad to see you're taking advantage of the good weather. I agree it's been quite a while since we've had a clear run like this. A very nice change. I'm just really hoping this wind drops though. The dewshield on my c14 acts like a sail in even slight wind, and I'm not sure about you but I seem to find that there's a lot of haze and therefore poor transparency after a windy day even when it settles down. And that just kills any long fl dso or planetary imaging.

Having said that, I pulled the Hyperstar out this weekend and have been capturing a mosaic of m8-NGC6559 & then later on a wider view of NGC300. I have a stack of data to process but just haven't had the energy to sit in front of my computer to do it!

Today I'm doing some maintenance: changing over the desiccant tablets in the 2600mc and updating my dark/bias library/ It's been a while...
Old 02-09-2024, 11:53 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yeah its been great but the wind! Bluudy hell! even in a dome the scope gets buffeted

Hopefully it settles before next weekend

Mike
Old 06-09-2024, 07:33 AM
Startrek (Martin)

The rare run of clear nights in Sydney continues into next week which has to be a record.
It feels weird imaging on a regular basis every night or every second night , normally on average it’s 2 or 3 nights a month at best.
The westerly winds haven’t been too bad as they tail off around 6pm and if not I just string a tarp up to protect the rig.

Seeing last night started off poor but by 10pm I could actually see quite a few stars , normally under my B8 skies I can only see the SC and the odd bight star. My EQ6-R pro with 14kgs on board was guiding around 0.40 to 0.45 past midnight, a pleasure to watch.

Hope others are enjoying these rare clear nights …..
Old 06-09-2024, 07:47 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

What are these "clear nights" of which you speak? Such things are unheard of in this locale..
Old 06-09-2024, 11:27 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
What are these "clear nights" of which you speak? Such things are unheard of in this locale..
I haven’t bought any Astro gear for over 12 months , maybe that’s why we’ve been rewarded up here ?
Old 09-09-2024, 01:36 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Cloudy days and mostly clear nights the past 2 weeks out here around Young. Maybe 6/7 nights clear. Not much wind, maybe 2 windy days over the past fortnight. Winds strong Canberra and Yass but lose puff as you go NW.

Had lovely calm nights over the weekend clear until 1200 to 0100. Bit of airborne canola pollen affected transparency.

Joe
Old 09-09-2024, 03:04 PM
barwellp (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
The rare run of clear nights in Sydney continues into next week which has to be a record.
It feels weird imaging on a regular basis every night or every second night , normally on average it’s 2 or 3 nights a month at best.
The westerly winds haven’t been too bad as they tail off around 6pm and if not I just string a tarp up to protect the rig.

Seeing last night started off poor but by 10pm I could actually see quite a few stars , normally under my B8 skies I can only see the SC and the odd bight star. My EQ6-R pro with 14kgs on board was guiding around 0.40 to 0.45 past midnight, a pleasure to watch.

Hope others are enjoying these rare clear nights …..
Yes it's been fabulous. Managed to get 15 hours on a target (NGC 253 - Sculptor galaxy) over 3 consecutive nights last week. Bring back El Niño !!
Old 10-09-2024, 07:12 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Yes, it is wonderful to have the opportunity to brag about a long run of clear nights. This is the best new moon period that I’ve had for at least a couple of years. May we keep the good times rolling
Old 10-09-2024, 11:20 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
. Winds strong Canberra and Yass but lose puff as you go NW.
Joe
Yeah its annoying and ironically, they have actually come from your way..thanks!

Mike
Old 10-09-2024, 12:03 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwellp View Post
Yes it's been fabulous. Managed to get 15 hours on a target (NGC 253 - Sculptor galaxy) over 3 consecutive nights last week. Bring back El Niño !!
Mike,

El Niño can have the opposite effect, that the heat and lack of rain can make rainless cloud build up but never rain out and go. Also, high probability of raging wild fires, and you are not a good location for bad bushfires.

More than enough clear weather during La Niña periods, mild summer temperatures and mild winters. Give me La Niña any time.

Careful what you wish for!

cheers

Joe
Old 10-09-2024, 12:09 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post

Careful what you wish for!

cheers

Joe
Errr?...Peter said that, not me ...I was just complaining about your wind, that you have been so inconsiderately sending this way

Mike
Old 10-09-2024, 07:08 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Errr?...Peter said that, not me ...I was just complaining about your wind, that you have been so inconsiderately sending this way

Mike
Mike,
Sorry, misquote.

BTW: I'm not sending any wind your way and you keep your wind to yourself thanks.
Old 17-09-2024, 04:39 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

The weather has switched...

When was the last time we had good rain ?

Looks like el-Nino is coming, despite the indications that it could be either way the long runs of blue suggest otherwise.

Could be a scary summer. Very scary, if you're within 1km of the bush.
Old 18-09-2024, 11:19 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by By.Jove View Post
When was the last time we had good rain ?

Looks like el-Nino is coming, despite the indications that it could be either way the long runs of blue suggest otherwise.

Could be a scary summer. Very scary, if you're within 1km of the bush.
I was down at my Obs on the South Coast 2 weeks ago and I’ve never seen the south coast so green and lush due to rain from March to July
August to October is historically dry in NSW
I guess the main issue is the amount of fuel load that’s building up , our state fire authorities don’t have the funds or resources to tackle this issue head on , it’s more of “we do what we can with what’s available”
Yes this next fire season will be high risk

Martin
Old 19-09-2024, 09:12 AM
Startrek (Martin)

The run of clear nights is set to continue on the east coast until mid next week and the moon is receding
Last night I was imaging the Chinese Dragon Nebula in Ha but guiding was a bit erratic midway through the session but stabilised later on.
Tonight could be the same , clear but a bit unstable
Enjoy if your out observing or imaging