Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-08-2024, 09:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Comet Tsuchinshon-ATLAS

https://youtu.be/qfCx2eqaNzM?si=tgvQmj4ViKPNdw1b

Once in a Lifetime comet from the Ort Cloud.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:53 AM
csastro25

Comet

Hi all

I think this comet is only visable in the Northern Hemisphere, but i only hope it is visable for us in the southern. Will make a spectacular event, i certainly will be eagerly to photography this one through my telescope for sure.

thanks glen for the info on this

claude
Old 01-09-2024, 08:56 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

It’s observing geometry is difficult but better for us than the northern hemisphere where it is nearly impossible. We have a dawn window late September and early October and a dusk window around October 20.

The once in a lifetime nonsense is typical media beat up. The comet is potentially bring but not as bright as half a dozen comets of the past few decades.

Joe

Last edited by OzEclipse; 01-09-2024 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:07 AM
refractordude

Hello There

I could not find it on Stellarium. The WWW info is vage. I am on the east coast USA.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:35 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by refractordude View Post
Hello There

I could not find it on Stellarium. The WWW info is vage. I am on the east coast USA.
It's not on my version of Stellarium either.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:29 PM
joshman (Josh)

To get it in Stellarium, you'll need to download/update the latest SSO databases. I've done it on all my PC's.

I grabbed some quick exposures of the Comet earlier this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 2024-08-11 205537.jpg)
26.3 KB40 views
Old 03-09-2024, 10:07 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

I use Starry Night Pro. When the comet was discovered, I downloaded the besselian elements from the Harvard server and created my own comet orbit in Starry Night.

I also use Sky Safari. It’s in there.

I don’t use Stellarium.

Joe.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:11 PM
glend (Glen)

I have been checking Sky Safari for the best views from my location. For my observatory, it's the early morning easterly aspect prior to sunrise the last week of September. I am blocked to the lower elevations to the west, so I need to image it prior to sunrise.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:18 PM
glend (Glen)

Playing around with different latitudes, it looks like any Queensland location with a good easterly aspect will be ideal around the morning of the 24th of September. Prior to sunrise the comet will be at 20 degrees above the horizon almost due east. My son's location in Dysart will be great, nice and dark and flat to the east. Importantly usually cloud free. If I had to pick one ideal spot for imaging it would be in an ocean facing unit in a Gold Coast high rise, but it would need to be a perfectly clear morning, which is unusual. It's a fairly bright comet, should be a good show.

Last edited by glend; 04-09-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 08:40 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

I was able to import the comet location in Stellarium- accurate location achieved for shooting this image in June.
Looking forward to this in the hope it lives up to the hype!
Anth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Autosave002 startools 8 SIRIL green reduction PS ST.jpeg)
47.6 KB28 views
Old 10-09-2024, 09:38 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

This Guide map is looking east at 4:30 am on 20/9 from Tweed Heads, NSW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (240920 T Atlas.jpg)
40.0 KB42 views
Old 15-09-2024, 02:13 PM
Rob_K

C/2023 A3 is quite gettable now if you've got clear skies and flat horizons. Terry Lovejoy recovered it on the morning of the 12th (11th UT). I've imaged it yesterday and today from Hay NSW (14 & 15 Sept). I've attached a couple of images including a full-frame at 200mm. Note that the dates on the images are UT, not local time. I tried visually through binoculars this morning but the sky was too bright and I couldn't see the comet or any nearby stars. Also note that the Moon will start interfering soon.

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C2023 A3, 14 Sept 2024, 19-11 UT st 11x4sec ISO6400 text small.jpg)
183.9 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (C2023 A3, 14 Sept 2024, 19-11 UT st 11x4sec ISO6400 1500px full text small.jpg)
133.0 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (C2023 A3, 13 Sept 2024, text crop small.jpg)
185.0 KB25 views
Old 15-09-2024, 07:33 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Tried without success to observe it this morning at 440-450am with 15x70mm binoculars.

Joe
Old 17-09-2024, 08:34 AM
joshman (Josh)

I had a go at observing it this morning with 10x50mm binoculars from ~4:50 - 5:15am. Didn't see it, but I'll keep trying, I'll get it eventually.
Old 17-09-2024, 04:38 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

I worked out my problem. I was looking in the wrong place.

I originally set up the comet orbit in my Starry Night program, early last year just after discovery, by entering those first derived Besselian Orbital elements. I checked the Besselian elements today. The elements have been refined and updated at the Harvard minor planet centre and mine were now different enough that the old elements are showing the comet at the wrong position. I'll get it next time. So it wasn't in the expected position with respect to the field stars. When the Moon relents a bit.

I realised when I saw a photo online taken at the same time I was observing and the comet appeared to be in the wrong place relative to the field stars.

cheers

Joe
Old 18-09-2024, 05:27 AM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
I worked out my problem. I was looking in the wrong place.

I originally set up the comet orbit in my Starry Night program, early last year just after discovery, by entering those first derived Besselian Orbital elements. I checked the Besselian elements today. The elements have been refined and updated at the Harvard minor planet centre and mine were now different enough that the old elements are showing the comet at the wrong position. I'll get it next time. So it wasn't in the expected position with respect to the field stars. When the Moon relents a bit.

I realised when I saw a photo online taken at the same time I was observing and the comet appeared to be in the wrong place relative to the field stars.

cheers

Joe

Haha, I've definitely been there. I was a little worried that my week old orbital information in Stellarium was out of date already when I couldn't find it yesterday morning.

As it would turn out. its just really faint, and my horizon is murky.

I manage to spot it this morning (~4:55am) from my backyard through my 10x50 binoculars. Now that i knew exactly where is was, I caught the briefest of glimpses with the naked eye.
My Horizon was too murky to make out much of the tail, but the nucleus was a tiny pinpoint of light with a diffuse shell.
Old Today, 07:46 AM
joshman (Josh)

Another successful visual observation with the binoculars this morning. Its nice that it's getting here earlier and earlier in the morning. I'm going to setup to try and catch some images tomorrow morning.

Looking through it's positional information for the next few weeks, it looks like my best pre-dawn observation will be around the 26-28th of September, when it's highest, earliest.

However, the long term weather forecast currently disagrees.
Old Today, 08:29 AM
glend (Glen)

So glad that folks are able to see it visually.
Old Today, 06:47 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Best of luck Josh!
Fingers crossed 🤞