Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-09-2024, 11:25 PM
Fox

Advice about filters for my new ASI-2600MC Duo

Dear IISer's,

I just got the ASI-2600MC Duo, along with M48 filter drawer (for 2 inch filters) and a kit of spacers. But I have not gotten any filters, yet. My scopes will be my 4inch Genesis and 5inch NP127is, on the AM5 with ASI-Air Plus. My backyard sky in Camberwell is Bortle 6. No opportunity to hook up the 2600 yet, and the weather here has been cloudy/wet.

My main question is regarding choice of a light pollution filter(s). My initial interests are the obvious ones eg. M42, Eta Carina, Trifid/Lagoon, but also star fields such as Omega and 47 Tucana globulars, Jewel box, Pleiades etc.

I was thinking initially about a Broadband filter such as the Optolong L-Pro, and just see how that goes, because the L-Pro will allow me to make a start on both nebulae and star-clusters. And from what I can tell from Youtube, the L-Pro seems pretty good and not that far behind many Narrowband filters.

But can someone enlighten me about the LED lights in Melbourne, I know I still see a lot of yellow/orange street lights (mercury/sodium I assume), but is LED lightning bad now as well ? If this is the case, then does this mean Broadband filters are becoming more useless, ie. the best way to get star clusters is to go outer-rural to Bortle 1, 2 or 3.

And if LED is getting bad in Melbourne, does that mean imaging from Camberwell I really should only be looking at Narrowband filters ie. L-Extreme, or L-Ultimate ?

Thx, Fox
Old 19-09-2024, 11:40 PM
Fox

Frak (!) this is a depressing memory. I remember pretty much 50 years ago, as a teenager, my first real scope was the Royal-LN4T 4" Newt from Astro-Optical in Bourke St mall. I could see swaths of Milky Way from my backyard in Mount Waverley, and make out the Ring Nebula in Lyra low in the Northern horizon, and impossible concept now...
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Instead of the halo ridden Optolong L-extreme there are Antlia variants. Or use the optolong L-quad which is a great light pollution filter, better than the L-Pro. Only issue with the L-Ultimate is the narrow bandwidth which may or may not affect guiding with the Duo setup.
I image from my backyard in Glen Iris Bortle 6 with the L-Ultimate and the L-Quad and have great success. my scopes are in my bio
Hope that helps
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Instead of the halo ridden Optolong L-extreme there are Antlia variants. Or use the optolong L-quad which is a great light pollution filter, better than the L-Pro. Only issue with the L-Ultimate is the narrow bandwidth which may or may not affect guiding with the Duo setup.
I image from my backyard in Glen Iris Bortle 6 with the L-Ultimate and the L-Quad and have great success. my scopes are in my bio
Hope that helps
Thanks Nik,
Looks as though I live very close to where you are, are LED lights used a lot in the Boroondara area, Melbourne city, and are ever increasing ?
Fox

PS: given my location and your experience/advice, sounds like a good choice for me would be the L-Enhance Quad, plus either the L-Extreme or Ultimate.

Last edited by Fox; Today at 01:03 AM.