Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 12:47 AM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Balance shaft adapter, EQ6/HEQ5 mounts

For my light weight system I needed some smaller balance weights. But not so easy to find low weight weights. I took my training weights, I don't use them anyway. But one problem, the hole is 26 mm and the shaft of the mount is 19 mm. I designed an adapter that let me use these training weights on the 19 balance shaft.

There is a STL file to download if you have need of this adapter. But the 3D-printed threads are not easy to get to fit each other. A calibrated 3D-printer make it easier.

Here is my 3D-print project:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/3d-printin...t-adapter.html

If you test print it, let me know if it works.

Lars
Old Today, 06:06 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
For my light weight system I needed some smaller balance weights. But not so easy to find low weight weights.
I had an engineer friend turn a couple of decent things up out of aluminium for me, he did it for the price of the materials (actually he did it free but I insisted I at least pay him for the aluminium). It's also quite easy to calculate weight if you know the grade of the aluminum from total area (or an online calculator most likely).

I also had him turn a 1 inch wide groove in the rollers and in conjunction with hardened steel pins they allow me to do 90 degree bends in 25 x 25 x 3mm square hollow section steel with a home made jig in my 12 tonne press (bending jig was the primary use but they double as mount weights too).
Another light weight weight I use on the front of my RC8 I made by cutting the iron crankshaft balancer weight off an old, dead Briggs and Stratton ride on mower engine (12HP) bolted to a Vixen clamp to slide over my dovetail. I ground and weighed the unit as I went to get the weight I desired and I can slide it along the Vixen dovetail as required.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....2ce&ipo=images