Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2024, 09:02 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Starship ITF4 Launch License Approved

For those who are interested in the Starship program , the FAA have just issued a launch license for the next Starship integrated flight test no.4 from Starbase Boca Chica Texas.
At this stage, pending weather, the launch is scheduled for 10.00am Friday morning the 7th June Australia eastern standard time, with a 2 hour launch window.
Obviously the 2 key objectives outside of hitting orbit are to land the booster in the Indian Ocean on a virtual tower and for Starship to survive re entry , initiate a flip manoeuvre and soft land in the ocean.
If Space X are successful then the program development and testing will accelerate as Starbase is expanding at an unbelievable pace with the inclusion of a second launch tower and new launch towers at KSC.
What ever the outcome the launch will be spectacular and all live in 4K video stream.
Good luck Space X
Old 06-06-2024, 04:14 PM
Startrek (Martin)

****Update
Starship IFT4 is now scheduled to launch tonight ( Thursday 6th June ) from 10.00pm ( 2 hour launch window ) Australian Eastern Standard Time
Can’t wait !!!
Old 06-06-2024, 04:55 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

I'm with you Martin.

Chris
Old 06-06-2024, 06:36 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx for the Update Martin and good there only a 2hr Launch window
Interesting times ,, I doubt either booster or ship will simulate a landing properly, hopefully close but wont be good enough for a tower catch attempt with flight 5,,, , ,
Old 07-06-2024, 12:02 AM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Without doubt the most exiting 20 minutes of reentry ever. When I saw burn through on the flight surfaces I thought it was toast, but it pulled it off. I'd love to see how much damage it sustained.

Incredible.

Chris
Old 07-06-2024, 10:35 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Grouse to be proven wrong,, that re-entry & loss of camera signal was a worry,, then came back online, both simulated landings, speshy starship flip = awesomeness !
Best excitement for a while, shouldn’t be long for next test,, hmm attemp booster catch, save some engines for reusabilty ,,,
Cool show Space X
Old 07-06-2024, 11:37 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Booster soft landing was nuts , 100% successful
Ship re entry was incredible, those flap hinges are an issue not to mention a few more tiles missing as well , super heated gases ( 2600C ) were seeping through the hinge joints which started to melt away the back end of the flaps. Don’t know how they’re going to resolve this but they will.
Couldn’t believe the camera kept running throughout the whole ordeal
IFT5 should nail everything ( except catching the booster )
IFT6 will hopefully nail catching the booster and land the Ship
Well done again Space X !!
Old 07-06-2024, 09:38 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

I have a question. For IFT4 they didn't circularise the orbit and with perigee below ground they didn't have to do a reentry burn with the vacuum engines. However, IFT5 or later they will use the Rvac engines for circularise also reentry burns, but starship doesn't have Ullage motors so how will they settle the propellant before raptor ignition?

Chris
Old 07-06-2024, 10:08 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I have a question. For IFT4 they didn't circularise the orbit and with perigee below ground they didn't have to do a reentry burn with the vacuum engines. However, IFT5 or later they will use the Rvac engines for circularise also reentry burns, but starship doesn't have Ullage motors so how will they settle the propellant before raptor ignition?

Chris

Good point
Maybe Starship is using a similar system to the Space Shuttle where the tanks had Zero G collection devices that work on surface tension and allowed enough fuel to initially ignite the engine and then rely on the helium bags to do the rest under some G ???
The hot staging system looks after ullage when booster falls away.
I’m not a rocket engineer, just a retired electrical engineer
Cheers
Martin
Old 08-06-2024, 12:34 AM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Good point
Maybe Starship is using a similar system to the Space Shuttle where the tanks had Zero G collection devices that work on surface tension and allowed enough fuel to initially ignite the engine and then rely on the helium bags to do the rest under some G ???
The hot staging system looks after ullage when booster falls away.
I’m not a rocket engineer, just a retired electrical engineer
Cheers
Martin
As you suggest it must be something like the OMS on the shuttle but somewhat higher pressure since the Rvac need turbo pumps, unlike the shuttle.

Chris