Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2024, 10:46 AM
bertinspace (Arnold)

Suggestions for Scope upgrade?

Hi, I purchased an astrophotography rig second hand about a month ago and im hooked.
It came with an Orion Premium ED 110mm 770mm F7 primary Scope. The scope has served me well in the first months but i am getting comma stars taking up a significant portion of the frame so looking for an upgrade.

Suggestions?
Old 04-06-2024, 12:31 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Arnold, welcome to the forums and astronomy. There is no need to worry about the coma at the edges of the frame, it can be reduced even eliminated completely by adding a field flattener, coma corrector to the set up. There are several makes readily available via retailers, like this -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204315219061 https://www.bintel.com.au/product/orion-field-flattener.

and may pop up in the classifieds here now and then or just do a search for field flatteners via your browsers. There is plenty of info out there on how to set them up, spacing etc.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:19 PM
bertinspace (Arnold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hi Arnold, welcome to the forums and astronomy. There is no need to worry about the coma at the edges of the frame, it can be reduced even eliminated completely by adding a field flattener, coma corrector to the set up. There are several makes readily available via retailers, like this -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204315219061 https://www.bintel.com.au/product/orion-field-flattener.

and may pop up in the classifieds here now and then or just do a search for field flatteners via your browsers. There is plenty of info out there on how to set them up, spacing etc.

Thanks heaps for that! I just looked through the gear that the setup came with and i found an orion 0.8 Focal reducer....i assume that will help with feild flattening as well?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:23 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Arnold. I had a look on Orion's website and it mentions that their .8 reducer flattens the field as well so you should be good to go.
Cheers, Richard
Old 05-06-2024, 06:38 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

You'll just need a set of spacers to get the sensor - reducer distance correct !!
Old 05-06-2024, 06:57 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertinspace View Post
Hi, I purchased an astrophotography rig second hand about a month ago and im hooked.
It came with an Orion Premium ED 110mm 770mm F7 primary Scope. The scope has served me well in the first months but i am getting comma stars taking up a significant portion of the frame so looking for an upgrade.

Suggestions?
Hi Arnold,

It would be good to know which camera you were using when your images were beset with stars with coma. If you are using too large a sensor for the image circle of your scope you will see all sorts of aberrations. If that is indeed the case, a reducer could make it worse as you will then see closer to the edges of the now reduced image circle.

Best
JA
Old 07-06-2024, 10:54 AM
bertinspace (Arnold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Arnold,

It would be good to know which camera you were using when your images were beset with stars with coma. If you are using too large a sensor for the image circle of your scope you will see all sorts of aberrations. If that is indeed the case, a reducer could make it worse as you will then see closer to the edges of the now reduced image circle.

Best
JA
I was using a DSLR (EOS 60D Unmodded) but i have picked up a ZWO 294MC pro so will see how we go with that.