Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-09-2024, 07:06 AM
leon

N-3 Cable dont fit the camera pins

Hi guys, I have a number of remote camera triggers for my Canon 5D and 6D Mark two's and have been successfully been using them forever and still work fine.

However i have just purchased some other N3 cables for these cameras and the 3 holes in the N3 end just don't fit onto the pins on the Camera's.

I can force them on to a point but need pliers to get them out, it is just strange.

I have talked to the people that supplied them and they too find it odd, but here we are, they the cables just don't fit the pins like they should.

And yes, the pins are lined up with the holes, the other ones just clink on effortless but these new ones are so tight i fear i will just destroy the pins in the camera.

Has anyone else here come across this problem, if so I would love to hear from you with a remedy, maybe

Thank You.

Leon
Old 14-09-2024, 09:41 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

I've had similar problems and it's always stemmed from cheaper quality cables (not necessarily cheaper), DO NOT force them on the pins and damage the pins on the camera, ask for a refund because they are not right.
Old 15-09-2024, 06:09 AM
leon

Hey Leo, thanks mate, the cables supplied with the MIOPS Flex Bolt was supposed to be quality stuff.

I talked to them about it and they said they have never heard of this, they did refund the price of the cable, however I am still no better off as a new one I bought from Digidirect does exactly the same.

My other cables that i have had for years work perfectly and clip on without an issue.

These new ones need to be forced on, and then they wont come off, but i am reluctant to do that due to damage to the Camera Pins.

Thank You.

Leon
Old 15-09-2024, 08:27 AM
RB (Andrew)

I reckon your Canon 5D and 6DmkII are fake Leon.

Old 15-09-2024, 12:06 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Leon since the cables were refunded would it possibly be as simple as a little bit of wet and dry or some other medium to remove a little of the external plastic if they do have external plastic which goes in an orifice?
I'm not familiar with the cables.
Old 15-09-2024, 01:02 PM
leon

Hey Andrew if they were fake at least i would have the answer, but it is just weird as all the others i have for different purposes work fine, it is just the last two i bought that are causing issues.

And Leo i did consider some thing like that, I just not sure how this would work, maybe a tiny drill bit to get some of the plastic off the holes because they, the holes are really small.

Thanks Guys, will keep at it.

Leon
Old 15-09-2024, 03:00 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Oh, it's too tight around the pins, not the external casing.
A small drill twisted by hand should do what you need and since they were refunded you're not voiding any warranty.
That or a very small soldering iron tip gently poked into the holes to open them up a little, just don't breath the fumes in.
Funny to say that about fumes, identifying plastics relies on an ignition source, smell, taste, flame colour and whether or not it self extinguishes (there's also flotation and a couple of other things but primarily smell and/or taste).
Old 15-09-2024, 03:39 PM
leon

Hey Leo, I have just used a 1/2mm drill bit and removed some of the plastic and can now see the metal contacts and have pushed a very fine wire into those metal contacts and there is definitely a difference with tightness, will keep at it and like you say there is nothing to lose as they have refunded me the cost of the cable.

Leon
Old 15-09-2024, 07:21 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Another thought is being a malleable plastic just wobbling a pick type instrument (ice pick, scribe, thin pin punch) in the holes may loosen them up too.
It's hard to get good accessory cables for photography equipment I've found unless you buy original from the manufacturer.
Old 16-09-2024, 05:58 AM
leon

Thanks Leo, what you say is true it is a bit like buying generic ink for your Canon printers, its just not the same.

Leon
Old 16-09-2024, 01:08 PM
leon

Hey Leo, as it turns out the pins on the Canon 5D (original) some 15 years plus old has pins that a minutely larger than the newer Canon 6D11.

So if i press really hard and I mean very hard i can get it on the 5D and it triggers, but getting it off is extremely hard and need to be levered off gently, which works but is a scary process and wondering if the pins are going to come out with the cable.

Anyway I have found the answer, and as you said maybe the smallest amount of WD-40 might help.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Leon