Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2024, 08:03 PM
EC48675 (Euan)

Balancing EQ6 R Pro

This is sort of a minor issue, but I have recently got a brand new EQ6 R Pro mount for my C8 Edge scope, and the mount is a little harder to balance than my old HEQ5 Pro.

My feeling is that the bearings are so smooth that it's hard to tell if it's slightly off balance or perfectly balanced. (could be wrong)

I am just wondering if anyone has a tried-and-true method of balancing accurately, as at the moment I just nudge the scope and use the gradings on each axis to judge what way it is heavy (obviously inconsistent because I can't push with the exact same force twice).

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
E
Old 09-07-2024, 08:57 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve had 2 off EQ6-R pro mounts over the past 5 years , still use one of them ( USB2B port )
Personally I found the Ra and Dec axis slightly too stiff compared to my old HEQ5 mount , so I found this YouTube video which demonstrated how to loosen the Ra and Dec axis.
I found this fairly straightforward but you do require some mechanical experience plus a few tools. A strap wrench didn’t budge my Ra axis so used 2 hardened pins and a long screwdriver.
You can always tighten yours if you find them too loose.
In any case I ensure my Ra axis is slightly “east heavy” and Dec axis evenly balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yzF...VRNi1SIG1vdW50

Good luck
Martin
Old 09-07-2024, 09:32 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I keep both axes out of balance to improve autoguiding. RA to the east, dec doesn't matter so much. This keeps the worm in constant contact with the toothed wheel and pretty much eliminates any backlash from the system when minor adjustments are made. If it is in perfect balance the scope will wobble in the worm with changes direction.

I was taught that as a kid in the 70's by the chap that built the mirror for the AAT. Very old school, but I still recon he was right