Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-08-2024, 09:49 AM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Nikon P1000 Lunar

Not bad for a bridge camera I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN0204.jpg)
179.0 KB40 views
Old 20-08-2024, 12:52 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Lovely shot and no CA.

I know someone who was given one of these near new cameras recently by the widow of the original purchaser with her having no idea of it's value and the recipient only wanting to know how much he can sell it for and not a clue how to use it

I have a couple of friends who own he 900 and this model and the zoom capabilities are remarkable. The moon is one of the objects they use to showcase the camera.
I'd love to get my hands on one one day.
Old 20-08-2024, 02:33 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

What Leo said - great shot!
Old 22-08-2024, 09:24 AM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
What Leo said - great shot!
A lot of fun at full zoom, stay out of the digital zoom though. The image suffers. IS is really quite good, but it is very nose heavy zoomed. I,m looking forward to see what it can do on my equatorial mount with many stacked images of planetary. The lack of CA is quite surprising, yes...
Old 22-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Lovely shot and no CA.

I know someone who was given one of these near new cameras recently by the widow of the original purchaser with her having no idea of it's value and the recipient only wanting to know how much he can sell it for and not a clue how to use it

I have a couple of friends who own he 900 and this model and the zoom capabilities are remarkable. The moon is one of the objects they use to showcase the camera.
I'd love to get my hands on one one day.
Oddly they seem to have held their value, in some cases in top condition sell for more than what they cost new. They were discontinued a little early I think, I paid 1100.00 for mine in as new condition with 3 months warranty remaining. Great kit if your into birding...The 1000 is considerably larger and heavier than the 900, something to consider for some... But that being said the 1000 shoots RAW and has a much better EVF and backscreen. Try and get your hands on a 1000. Pic of 1000 next to my 900 for comparison, neither is zoomed in this image..
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20240820_124359.jpg)
95.9 KB5 views

Last edited by Shawn; 22-08-2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old 22-08-2024, 11:24 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

That's quite the size difference. The hardest part is trying to explain to people they need to mount these things on a good tripod for zoom. 300 is around the absolute limit for hand holding though I know bird people often use longer lenses hand held but I think they are light lenses too.

A short while ago I convinced a lady I know who was looking for a camera to move up from her phone to pick up a great near new camera from a local who had advertised it on here at a very reasonable price. She mentioned how steady her hand was with the 300mm lens and insisted she didn't need a tripod. Eventually she found her limits trying to photograph the moon and I had a spare tripod I gave her.

Planetary images stacked would be very interesting to see if you get them.
Again, I'm blown away by the lack of CA, particularly on the bright moon.
Old 22-08-2024, 12:16 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
That's quite the size difference. The hardest part is trying to explain to people they need to mount these things on a good tripod for zoom. 300 is around the absolute limit for hand holding though I know bird people often use longer lenses hand held but I think they are light lenses too.

A short while ago I convinced a lady I know who was looking for a camera to move up from her phone to pick up a great near new camera from a local who had advertised it on here at a very reasonable price. She mentioned how steady her hand was with the 300mm lens and insisted she didn't need a tripod. Eventually she found her limits trying to photograph the moon and I had a spare tripod I gave her.

Planetary images stacked would be very interesting to see if you get them.
Again, I'm blown away by the lack of CA, particularly on the bright moon.
That moon shot was hand held albeit leaning against a post. I have a Z6 and a 150 -600, but despite that combination having good IS, I could not punch out to anywhere near the 600 without a pod, I use a mono for birding with that combo. but the 1000, yeah its good up to about 2000, before you run the risk of smear... Ill post results of the planetary expedition with it, Its recommended I switch IS off for pod mounting.. I,m not expecting much, we will see..
Old 22-08-2024, 12:51 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I've done plenty of good hand held shots with a good leaning support over the years. Many years of photography have long taught me to find any suitable support where ever I am if I don't have a tripod but I really think it is an experience thing.. I've also had my 1.2Kg Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (ED) lens break 3 tripod head mounts because of the excessive weight hanging forward. It's the first model (bought new in 91) which didn't have the tripod mount on the lens itself. I never use it without the camera strap around my neck on any mount.
It's certainly not impossible to get great results sans tripod but I recommend people without experience use them for anything over 200mm. Throw in electronic screens instead of viewfinders and I'm lost. While I support a camera against my face I'm fine but a couple of little compacts I have which only have screens I'm pathetic, even without zoom, those and my studio phone.....

Have you considered stacked moon shots with the 1000?

Though a tripod would be imperative for the purpose and I think a stack would give outstanding results. It must be great having something at hand that's quicker to grab and shoot without the need of setting up a mount and scope? I cant wait to see your planetary results!

One day I'll have the finances to have some decent gear though I do have a D810 I got for under $800 used. I was very lucky. I haven't worked for 32 years because of my health so I mostly get to play with cheap old stuff I acquire. I'm happy with what I have and get a lot of joy out of using it but would love the opportunity to play with good equipment one day.
Old 22-08-2024, 01:16 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Jeeze I just sold my 810, to make room for an Asi 533 and 120 mini. on the Redcat. And no I had not thought of stacking the Moon, maybe I should try that first, I have a little grab and go SW GTi Asiair mini driven that should do the trick.. Thanks for the idea Leo...