Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-07-2024, 01:38 PM
Tchoklat (Tony)

setup help

I am finalising my astro setup but am misled by wires and connections. Does anyone use a Pegasus Astro USB/power box or similar to route the cables? will it work with mount, camera, laptop, focusser etc all needing either power or usb data connections?
Old 30-07-2024, 03:45 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchoklat View Post
I am finalising my astro setup but am misled by wires and connections. Does anyone use a Pegasus Astro USB/power box or similar to route the cables? will it work with mount, camera, laptop, focusser etc all needing either power or usb data connections?
Hi Tony,

I use a PPBAG2 & it works fine fine for me, though you may be better off running the camera USB straight to the laptop if using a dedicated astrocam, users of some cameras have reported problems when connecting them through a hub. I've never had an issue but it may be something you run into.

My PPBA runs:
Mount (USB & Power)
Mini router (USB powered)
Mini PC
Dew heaters x 2
It also powers a small Wanderer USB/Power Hub which connects to:
Camera power
Guide Cam (USB)
Focuser (USB)
Filter Wheel (USB)
External USB storage

I could have connected the filter wheel & focuser direct to the camera USB2 hub & avoided the Wanderer box but this works better for me.

The only things connected directly to my mini pc are the imaging camera & the PPBA. Oh, and the Wanderer box USB, but this could have gone through the PPBA as well.

Of course the laptop will need it's own power. I actually used to use an adapter to run it off 12v as well.

Cheers,
Mark