Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2024, 06:29 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Condensation Control

Was running 40W light bulb on timer in obs for condensation control.......moths invaded and eventually burnout of filament. (Over time)

This unit has plugged into the existing digital timer - all good - placed on top of pier with BBQ cover over top - no moths - no risk of melting cover/skirt. All clear to roof of obs - overfow heat rises from skirt. 60w on timer frugal insurance.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28581150...r=587893226287
Old 18-09-2024, 06:50 PM
glend (Glen)

I have used a shroud placed over my mount in the observatory for probably 8 years now. The CGX mount sits on a pier which goes through the floor into the earth, inside the shroud I run a low wattage incandescent bulb on a timer. The shroud itself is made out of foil builders bath material purchased from Bunnings, and has a small opening at the top to produce a convective flow which keeps the mount dry.
It takes me only about two minutes to remove the mount shroud when I am getting the observatory ready for use. This is a good winter setup. In summer I still use the shroud but without the bulb heater. No moths anywhere.
Old 19-09-2024, 06:03 AM
leon

When I had my observatory i used to run a portable fan non stop on low, the circulating air would keep everything perfectly dry.

A fan running 24/7 would last me at least 6 months and at 15 bucks from Bunnings it was a great way to keep everything dry.

Just my two cents worth.

Leon