Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-06-2024, 09:34 AM
joshman (Josh)

Western Veil 3 Panel Mosaic in HOO

Ever since Last years imaging of this region, I've been itching to go back to this with a bit more purpose. I settled on a 3-panel mosaic of the region incorporating the entirety of the witch's broom, Pickerings Triangle, and what I'm calling the "Scorpion's tail." (please let me know if it has a name). Eventually i may supplement this with another more imagery of the East Veil, but that might have to wait for now.

ASI2600MM, Antlia 3nm OIII, Antlia 4.5nm Ha, Antlia Pro RGB (for the stars)
Takahashi FSQ-106ED on a ZWO AM5.
For each Panel:
  • 15sec x 60 for each RGB for the stars
  • ~4hrs each for Ha and OIII.
Stacked in WBPP @ drizzle 2x.
Each master stack was Gradient corrected, then put together using the PI Mosaic tools.
RGB was RGB combined, solved and SPCC, then BlurX, and stars extracted. Stars were stretched with GHS
Ha and OIII was ran through BlurX, StarX and NoiseX, then stretched with GHS. Combined with some pixel math. Curves transformation to taste, then mixed with a synthetic Luminance made from the OIII and HA, then stars added back.

It was definitely a bit of an arduous process, and doing a 3 panel mosaic at Drizzle 2x files is right at the limit of what i think my current processing setup can comfortably handle, though i am currently brewing a 4 panel mosaic of a different region of space, so that will be a real test.

Be Sure to check it out big on Astrobin!

Enjoy and Clear Skies!

Question: how do the colours look for you? I've got wildly differing result depending on the monitor i'm viewing it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cTbybIpyY6dq_620x0_4nd3mLr4.jpg)
38.9 KB33 views
Old 18-06-2024, 04:40 PM
Bodon (Steve)

Nice photo Josh with detail! Mate I have two different monitors and I have the same problem as you..always different on my gaming monitor. Your astrobin photo is quite dark red on both my monitors. Not a guru on how red it probably should be but for me just a tad too dark....then again I like my photos over sharp.
Old 19-06-2024, 08:55 AM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodon View Post
Nice photo Josh with detail! Mate I have two different monitors and I have the same problem as you..always different on my gaming monitor. Your astrobin photo is quite dark red on both my monitors. Not a guru on how red it probably should be but for me just a tad too dark....then again I like my photos over sharp.

Thank you very much for looking and the feedback. I'm having the opposite problem, On my main processing station (beast of a gaming laptop at the moment) the reds are lovely and deep, and have an almost golden quality, but on my work monitor they're all candy-apple-red. Just checking now on my phone; they're leaning more towards the candy-apple end.

Oh well, I guess I'll need to go back and play with the processing a bit more.
Old 19-06-2024, 09:38 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Josh
Colour is fine. Photo is really nice. Id leave it mate.
Old 19-06-2024, 10:59 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Pwoar! great looking shot Josh

Striking photo, bold colours....yeah, maaaybeee just a little harsh and high contrast and for me deffo needs the stars IMHO .. but heck, taken from down here that's an excellent colourful result

Mike
Old 19-06-2024, 11:25 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Great image and yes on my apple cinema display which is calibrated it does show a lot of red/magenta almost
It really shows up on the histogram

I hope you don't mind I played around with the settings to "dissolve" some of the magenta

I've deleted the image after the screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 11.26.21 am.jpg)
139.8 KB4 views
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 11.39.08 am.jpg)
214.1 KB5 views

Last edited by Nikolas; 19-06-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Old 19-06-2024, 11:28 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Very nice Josh & well done on capturing such a great image of a northern object that is very low in the sky.

Perhaps a little oversaturated but that is a minor matter.
Old 19-06-2024, 12:58 PM
gregbradley

Terrific. I wish I could image that. It must be low in the north even at Coffs.

Greg.
Old 19-06-2024, 03:05 PM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Pwoar! great looking shot Josh

Striking photo, bold colours....yeah, maaaybeee just a little harsh and high contrast and for me deffo needs the stars IMHO .. but heck, taken from down here that's an excellent colourful result

Mike
Heh, Thanks Mike. I'm definitely seeing a need to tone down the saturation. I put it all down to the better quality scope I'm using this year, It's twice as fast (f/5 vs. f/7) and i have nearly twice the amount of integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Great image and yes on my apple cinema display which is calibrated it does show a lot of red/magenta almost
It really shows up on the histogram

I hope you don't mind I played around with the settings to "dissolve" some of the magenta

I've deleted the image after the screenshot

No worries, thank you for the visual. I definitely need to work out something to get better colours in my astro photos. I might need to move a processing PC up the ladder of priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Very nice Josh & well done on capturing such a great image of a northern object that is very low in the sky.

Perhaps a little oversaturated but that is a minor matter.
Thank you very much for looking, and yes, its a little candy-apple-red at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Terrific. I wish I could image that. It must be low in the north even at Coffs.

Greg.
Very very low, I get it for just a few hours above my roof line. It's about as low in the north as i can image from my new place. (at the moment)
Old 19-06-2024, 04:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Josh,
An excellent capture from low latitudes
Well done !!
Yeh the red colour saturation is a tad heavy but only my opinion.
I too process my images on an Omen 17” gaming laptop as I’m imaging between Sydney and South Coast , so a PC is laborious to drag around.
I’ve noticed my image colour changes when I transfer my images from the Omen laptop to the Dell Desktop. The Omen tends to over compensate for colour saturation and contrast, particularly the reds.
Cheers
Martin