Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-09-2005, 08:53 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: University Optics 2" 2x Barlow

Dave47Tuc has kindly written a review on the 2" 2x Barlow from University Optics.
You can read the review from the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

University Optics 2" 2x Barlow

Thanks very much to Dave for writing the review!

If you'd like to submit a review for something, just contact me!
Old 23-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Nice review Dave.

I noticed in the pictures that the barlow doesnt seem to be sitting all the way into the focuser. Did you have to pull it out some to achieve focus?

Good thing you have a crayford focuser Dave, I'd hate to think how the standard r&p focuser would go with such weight hanging off it

Looking forward to catching up with you. Id love to compare your barlow with my Celestron Ultima in use with 1.25' eyepieces.
Old 23-09-2005, 10:19 AM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

top review! i'd love to see a review comparing the UO 2" to soemthing regarded as a good 1.25" barlow for use with 1.25" eyepieces like the Shorty Plus, as they don't have that much between them in terms of price. I think as alot of us meer mortals who don't have a case full of naglers, really only have 1 or 2 2" eyepieces. Which is why I was looking at getting at either replacing my GSO 1.25" with either a Shorty Plus or 2" barlow, as I figured with the 2" i could barlow my superview and still barlow my 1.25's.

Dave.. and AN looks awesome What's that underneather the scope? Do you carry a slab of concrete to where you observe?

el
Old 23-09-2005, 01:38 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Thanks for the great revue Dave

You must be sidekick, err pyschic. I ordered a UO 2" barlow from Daniel a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, he was out of stock. I twas sent on Wednesday, so I'm hoping it's here later today - in time for our local group's observing night on Saturday.

I don't have the range of EPs you do Dave, but I do have a nice SV 30mm EP to try it out on.

Cheers
Old 23-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylad
Thanks for the great revue Dave

You must be sidekick, err pyschic. I ordered a UO 2" barlow from Daniel a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, he was out of stock. I twas sent on Wednesday, so I'm hoping it's here later today - in time for our local group's observing night on Saturday.

I don't have the range of EPs you do Dave, but I do have a nice SV 30mm EP to try it out on.

Cheers
Thanks dave and All for the feedback. Your 30 mm will be much improved with the barlow
Old 23-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiver

Dave.. and AN looks awesome What's that underneather the scope? Do you carry a slab of concrete to where you observe?

el
No I don't carry the concrete around. But it is where I plan to put my Observatory in the future. The AN system is very

Thanks for your comments.
Old 23-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
Nice review Dave.

I noticed in the pictures that the barlow doesnt seem to be sitting all the way into the focuser. Did you have to pull it out some to achieve focus?

Good thing you have a crayford focuser Dave, I'd hate to think how the standard r&p focuser would go with such weight hanging off it

Looking forward to catching up with you. Id love to compare your barlow with my Celestron Ultima in use with 1.25' eyepieces.
Thanks Geoff, Hope to catch up with you over the next week or two.
The Barlow does have to come out of the focuser a bit as seen in the pictures, to get focus. The 31 and Barlow is something to see
Old 23-09-2005, 03:05 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

the why does it appear to be sitting out of the focuser a fair way dave?

nice writeup by the way
if I decide to get a 2" barlow I'll probably get this one
Old 23-09-2005, 04:22 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc
No I don't carry the concrete around. But it is where I plan to put my Observatory in the future. The AN system is very

Thanks for your comments.

sorry dave.. i just thought cause u have your car in the picture with the boot open it looks like you had driven to a dark sky site.. i assume u'r putting u'r observatory in your backyard?? do u drive to u'r backyard?? j/k

el
Old 23-09-2005, 04:44 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

I really enjoyed this review. Thankyou very much for taking the time. It is simply great!

What do you suggest as counterweights?

Are you coming to starcamp with everything shown?

Up until now, I could not have given a toss about Naglers (not in my sight screen for a fair while, rather get other stuff first, best not to even dream about them yet!), but your descriptions started to make some serious connections somewhere deep inside and i can see myself getting in big trouble soon when i buy one and have to explain to the wife!

I had always thought shorty plus, but as i have the adapter from 2" to 1,25", it really shouldn't matter. At least my ultra wide can fit in the 2" and also the 1.25".

Top report, i may have already said that, but it deserves a double congrats!!
Old 23-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

el
I suppose it does look a bit funny. But really I use my boot for all the Ep's etc. Same as when I'm out in the field. On a table everything gets so dewie I hate it. As I can drive in the backyard You can see what I do. Observatory is going in the backyard and not in the boot Mite be worth looking into

dave yes I will be at the star camp with the lot, but not my car
Coming with a friend and we are going in his 4wd.

Looking foward to it. the camp that is
I'm sorry to say but after the camp I know what will be on your shopping list.
There will be a few Nag's and Pentax's etc on show at the camp.
Once you have a peek
The wallet or credit card will burn. My wife has said one more Ep's then my life will not be worth living
Old 23-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving
the why does it appear to be sitting out of the focuser a fair way dave?
Yes David it does need to sit out a bit. No problem with the focuser I have.
The normal R&P one ouch!
Old 23-09-2005, 06:50 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

i have a r n' p
Old 23-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Ving , its only a problem if your hanging something heavy off it , like a 31mm nagler which weighs about a kilo
Old 26-09-2005, 11:57 AM
jps

If I use a 2" barlow can I use 1-1/4" eyepieces by using the adapter that comes with my focuser? The reason I would want to do this is that I may one day buy a paracorr for my f/4 newtonian. TV say you can't use 1-1/4" barlows with the paracorr.
Old 26-09-2005, 12:52 PM
chunkylad (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps
If I use a 2" barlow can I use 1-1/4" eyepieces by using the adapter that comes with my focuser? The reason I would want to do this is that I may one day buy a paracorr for my f/4 newtonian. TV say you can't use 1-1/4" barlows with the paracorr.
My 2" UO Barlow arrived this morning. Hoping it will see first light tonight. My standard 2" - 1.25" adaptor fits straight into it.

Cheers
Old 27-09-2005, 01:40 PM
chunkylad (David)

2" UO barlow first light

Hi guys'n'gals

My UO 2" barlow saw first light this morning. Saturn. Mars and Luna were the targets, just before dawn.

Thi barlow allowed me to step up my GSO 6mm and 4mm eps to 500x and 750x respectively. Talk about up close and personal. Excellent results. Crisp and clear to the edge of fov. Awesome also in combination with the 30mm 2" GSO Superview. I did find it needed some extension in the Crayford focusser to achieve focus, but this is no prob.

Very happy with this unit, so far. Planning try it out on DSOs tonight.

Cheers
Old 27-09-2005, 02:04 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

The 4mm and 6mm were easy on the eye at those magnifications??

Sounds like you are having fun. 2" sounds like the way to go.

How fast were the planets moving across the field of view?
Old 27-09-2005, 03:56 PM
chunkylad (David)

Hi David

I have no great problem with the Eye Relief afforded by these two (4mm & 6mm) eps. The beauty of the barlow is that the ER stays the same. You guessed it though. At these magnifications, anything viewed through a plossl ep just scoots through the narrow fov. Not a great drama, you just get a lot of practice at nudging your Dob.

I'd love to have a bo peep through a super wide fov ep like a Nagler at these focal lengths.

I have on order a Narrow Band Pass filter from DGM optics in the USA in the 1.25" configuration. However, now that I have a decent 2" Barlow, I am leaning towards another 2" GSO SV ep - the 42mm, for DSO hunting; especially for planetary nebs. If the DGM NBP filter proves its worth, I may get its big brother as well. I find I really like the 'spacewalk' feeling I get from these budget priced eps. They're big bazookas (especialy combined with the UO 2" Barlow), and in that regard, not everyone's cup of tea. But I like 'em. I might think differntly if I had heaps to spend

Cheers
Old 27-09-2005, 04:11 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

do you have to use weights at all?

my 6,5mm series 500 was fine last night with good seeing, but useless most of the time. I am please that the 4 and 6 in the gs are good.

have you seen andrews ultra wide 80 degree 30mm?

i have one, very nice!!!

great for dso hunting and i would be keen to stick it in a 2" barlow to get 15mm

What was the cost of this barlow and can you get higher magnifications.

How big did saturn look in your 4mm ie filled the eyepiece??

I am doing some planning for star camp end of october, ie two good eyepiece, a good barlow to cover planetary and dso's